After a long and arduous march far from his home in Bavaria, Franconia and in Flanders in 1050 the first settlers reached the region around Störmthal.
The monks of the Benedictine Order in the monastery of Pegau maintained precise records about places from which they received income. This circumstance we owe the first mention of Störmthal in 1306. The first noble landlord was in 1350 Ritter Heinrich von Moschelele. He resided with his entourage on the estate, and reigned over the village and its inhabitants.
1524 - 1526 Peasants War: The oppressive taxes, which impacted the feudal lords, the peasants, led to numerous surveys, which were received as a peasant in the story. The uprisings of the peasants were brutally suppressed, their leaders executed. In 1539 Duke Henry ruled in Albertine Saxony, and so the Reformation arrived to Störmthal. The ideas of Martin Luther were now being implemented here. First Protestant preacher was Pastor Magdeborner Nathaniel Donner.
When Statz Friedrich von Fullen became the ruler in 1675, an influential dynasty of the Störmthal Manor began. As the Royal Polish and Electoral Saxon warrior, and the upper land commissioner, he built the Schloss (Castle) above the town with a Baroque touch. Statz Friedrich von Fullen became the patron of the church in 1690 and Johann Christian Eckardt was appointed as the first pastor of the parish. Already in 1691 the first school was established in Störmthal.
Statz Hilmar von Fullen hired Zacharias Hildebrandt to build the jewel of the church, the famous organ. On November 2, 1723 J.S. Bach came in person to Störmthal to examine the organ and perform a cantata composed especially for this event (see below).
During the Battle of Nations in October 1813, the village was looted several times, and the Störmthal people suffered significant losses. The total loss of almost 46,000 crowns was the price for the liberation from French rule.
In 1824 an important noble family became the manor one again. Theodore Watzdorf was chamberlain at the Saxon Royal court and a member for life of the First Chamber. In 1839 the inhabitants were freed from their feudal and also got expanded rights of self-ascribed. Johann August Jonas was chosen for the first parish council. On March 25 the most famous Störmthal son, Johann August Jonas, was born. The son of a pastor and social reformer, he was sitting as chairman of the German Democratic Party in the Reichstag of Weimar. The Men's Choir "harmony" was established in 1882. 1895 another club, Königlich-Sächsische Militärverein Störmthal (Royal Saxon Military Society) was founded.
The birth of organised athletic and very successful activity in Störmthal was in 1903 when Hermann Schwenker the General Turnverein Störmthal and surrounding area arrived. The seeds, which Hermann Schwenker once laid, fell on fertile ground. Today, about 260 athletes aged between 4-80 years are active in the fields of soccer, bowling, volleyball and gymnastics.
In 1930 the Volunteer Fire Störmthal was founded. Osmar Dechand was the first Wehrleiter. The original fire force of the "Magirus-Deutz" type (1931), which is still located in possession of the military, was restored in 2006 by his comrades. 1939 to 1945 were the dark years of World War II. On April 21, 1945 Störmthal was occupied by American troops. The years of Nazi rule and the war were over. In early July, the responsibility moved over to Russian hands. After the end of the war, the problems were not yet over. Many evacuees were housed and cared for in Störmthal.
As part of the land reform in 1946 the property of the estate was distributed to land men, new farmers and small settlers. The socialist transformation of agriculture industry in 1953 led to creation of the LPG type III "New Age". The first chairmen were Erich Freier and Gustav Hummer. With the establishment of LPG Type I "Happy Future" in March 1960 Störmthal started to grow economically. The first chairmen was Werner Mühlberg, with Hofstelle Nummer 3 (farmer's number 3), which is in its fourth generation of family ownership.
Children's home was located in the Störmthal Schloss from 1951 to 1991. The first kindergarten was located in today's Konsumgasse, later in Rödgen, and since 1981 in the former school building before the church. In the 1970's, the youth club Störmthal was founded.
The organ at Dorfkirche (Kreuzkirche), Störmthal (by Leipzig) was built in the years 1722-1723 by Zacharias Hildebrandt, organ builder, an apperentice of Georg Silbermann, and a friend of J.S. Bach. The organ included 14 stops and 1 section. The organ was examined by none other than J.S. Bach, who at the time had very recently settled in Leipzig. After the examination, the celebration which was held contained a cantata by J.S. Bach: Höchsterwünschtes Freudenfest BWV 194.