After the discovery of mineral springs in Bad Elster, the court's director Staudinger in 1817 and his fellow citizen Hilf Johann Christoph (1783-1885) organised local musicians and put together an orchestra. Hilf's son Christoph Wolfgang (1818-1911) was an excellent musician, concert-master of the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig and soloist under Felix Mendelssohn, and colleague of esteemed composers such as Schumann, Spohr and Marschner, as Elster was in 1848 Royal Saxon Staatsbad. Under his leadership, the 36 musicians from the existing Königlichen Badekapelle, became an orchestra and an indispensable part of the Vogtland culture. The social changes in Germany at the end of the 1980's, in turn, placed new demands on the music business in the Saxon State and Vogtland.
The Chursächsische Philharmonie under the baton of music director Florian Merz offers since 1993, offers an answer to this challenge with a nation-wide new structure and a clear artistic approach. The artistic concept is based on the idea that music of all eras would be presented in the most stylish performance. Consistently pursued this path leads from the perspective of Chursächsische Philharmonie inevitably use of historical instruments from the different styles (Baroque, Classical and Romantic), and the use of autograph scores, a music intensive co-operation with scientists, universities and other Vogtland institutes. Successful partnerships with other cultural institutions characterised the work of the Chursächsische Philharmonie.
The Chursächsische Philharmonie is considered regionally significant facility encouraged by the cultural area Vogtland. With the acquisition of the entire cultural activities by the Sächsische Staatsbäder GmbH from July 2000 and the related formation of the division "event management", the Chursächsische Philharmonie has a promising future.