The German organist, Johannes Schäfer, studied with Günther Ramin and Robert Köbler and other teachers at the Leipzig conservatoire from 1947 to 1950.
From 1950 to the time of his death Johannes Schäfer was organist at the Erfurt Predigerkirche, where, on his initiative, a large, new organ was built in 1978. He lectured at the music Institute in Halle (Saale) from 1956 to 1994, when he was made professor of organ there. In addition, he lectured at the Weimar conservatoire from 1978.
Numerous concerts, broadcasts and recordings and his participation on the juries of international music competitions made Johannes Schäfer well-known and well-loved as an outstanding artist at the organ and highly esteemed teacher.