The German choral conductor and organist, Hermann Harrassowitz, studied church music at the Staatlichen Musikhochschule in Frankfurt (including with Professor Helmut Walcha), and in 1955 passed the A-exam. This was followed by studies of oboe, music education and old philology in Frankfurt and Marburg. In 1957 he received scholarship of the Culture Prize of the Federal Association of German Industry. In 1959-1960 he belonged to the federal selection of concerts by young artists as oboist.
Since 1946 Hermann Harrassowitz is continuously active as an organist. He began in Oberhessen and Rheinhessen. From 1962 to 1995 he was a church musician at St. Lorenz in Nürnberg, the largest Protestant church in Bavaria. In 1968, he was appointed Church Music Director (KMD). In 1968 and 1970 he founded the Bachtage in St. Lorenz, and in 1973 directed the German Bach Festival in Nürnberg.
As an organist Hermann Harrassowitz made radio recordings and concerts, including in the USA, Hungary, South Africa and Switzerland. He was director of the Bachchor and Kammerchor of St. Lorenz, and led two the choirs with concert tours in Germany and abroad, such as Sweden, Switzerland, France, Spain, Italy, Poland, and Hungary. Under his leadership, the choirs appeared at music festivals, including in South Africa.
In 1973, Hermann Harrassowitz directed the 48th Bach Festival of the Neuen Bachgesellschaft (New Bach Society) in Nuremberg. From 1978 to 2003 he was a lecturer at the Staatliche Musikhochschule Würzburg; in 1981 (or 1982), he was appointed as Honorary Professor.
In 1991, Hermann Harrassowitz was awarded the plaque "Soli Deo Gloria" of the (Landesverbandes der Evang. Kirchenchöre) National Protestant Church Choirs in Bavaria.